Becker Political Social Grab Bag-October 2018
Get the Becker Political Social Grab Bag in your inbox on the 1st of the Month using the form below.
What am I thinking about?
I’ve been thinking a lot about what more we can be doing to do more training. Frankly I was horrified at how many campaigns (and a few orgs) sent out unrelated fundraising asks in the middle of the Kavanaugh hearings last Thursday. To that end I’m hard at work running facebook ads for downticket campaigns all over the country (if you need help with that, email me!) for the midterms and starting to plot out next year’s trainings and training schedule. New to the schedule will be a 2 day digital analytics deep dive with a new training partner, an advanced digital organizing bootcamp and more. Stay tuned!
End of Year Fundraising Digital Strategy-We are teaming up with The Digital Plan for this workshop that will help you set your strategy for end of year fundraising. Use the code EOY-Becker50 by Oct 5 for $50 off the regular price. Register while you can…this cohort is limited to 20 participants.
I’m working on the training schedule for 2019 so if there’s a training you’d like to see us do or if you’d like us to come to your city drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What I’m reading
Viral Videos Are Replacing Pricey Political Ads. They’re Cheaper, and They Work.- Not that any of you don’t already know and believe this but this will be handy to show to those you work with who don’t yet get it.
Regulators around the world are shaping up for a social media crackdown– Keep an on eye this ever developing story as we get closer and closer to meaningful regulation that will of course impact the work we do
Capitalizing on sleep-wake cycle can drastically increase digital ad profits from social media-Talks specifically about ecommerce related data but I suspect that it would be true for the work we do as well
Twitter’s Flawed Solution to Political Polarization-Key sentence: “Forcing Twitter users to encounter political views they disagree with…can make them become even more wedded to their own.”
● Big changes to Canvas–now known as Instant Experience
● Not actually new but many people aren’t aware of publisher lists but should be actively using them
● Rolling out now: Pages will be able to join Groups
● Facebook Stories Ads are now available and Messenger Stories ads coming soon
● Hashtags- in the caption or in comments? Soon to be a moot question
● We’ve shared this info before but a reminder that you need to get verified for Twitter to run political ads – and it can take up to 10 days for the entire process to finish so if you haven’t already do so now! (Also for FEC registered candidates this is also true for Google the process for which can take up to 2 weeks in our experience)
● Lots of testing for new ways to display replies to Tweets
● Welcome back chronological timeline-we’ve missed you!
● Looks like Twitter is going to try to build their own audience network of sorts
Don’t Try This At Home
Winning the Internet
● While this article is a sad goodbye it also offers a great case study on doing social media right